Designed and purpose built in Germany in 2003 specifically for expedition travel, National Geographic Orion was created from the outset to explore the far corners of the Earth in complete self-sufficiency.
Engineered for maximum comfort and safety, Orion is equipped with the latest technology including large retractable stabilizers, sonar, radar, and an ice-strengthened hull. A shallow draft plus bow and stern thrusters provide the convenience of being able to maneuver close to shore. 14 Zodiacs ensure quick disembarkation and offer the ideal transport for up-close exploration. Best of all, Orion is equipped with a glass-bottom Zodiac that enables remarkably clear, gratifying observations of the undersea for those who prefer to stay dry.
National Geographic Orion meets strict specifications for environmental protection and the on board waste management systems meet the stringent Antarctic operational standards enabling us to travel to the most pristine environments. A host of advanced design features and technology ensures sustainable marine environmental practices.
National Geographic Orion accommodates 102 guests in 53 cabins, including several with balconies. She is spacious and modern, with a variety of public rooms that offer panoramic views of the passing landscape. Friendly and informal, Orion fosters a welcoming atmosphere where like-minded guests share in exceptional experiences and enrichment.
Her public rooms include a dramatic window-lined main lounge, as well as an observation lounge and library perched at the very top of the ship, with plentiful observation decks. The spacious lounge is the heart of our expedition community, and is suited for spirited cocktail hours, informative presentations and our nightly tradition of Recap. Both the main dining room and outside buffet easily accommodate all guests at once for open seating dining. On selected nights, weather permitting, our dining room menu is also available on the outside deck.
While Orion interiors are elegant, life aboard is always casual, with no need for formal clothing. And you’ll find shipboard services like laundry, in-room cabled internet, and public-area wifi make packing and traveling more convenient.
* An attentive, expert hotel staff and well-thought-out amenities ensure a comfortable shipboard life.
* Staying connected.
* Internet access is available at an additional charge, and there are several ways to get online. A laptop is available in the library with internet connection. Internet access is also available in your cabin via an Ethernet cable using your own laptop. If your laptop is wireless enabled, you may use it anywhere in the observation lounge or the main lounge. A satellite phone is available for phone calls at additional charge, and an Iridium satellite phone is also available for emergency use.
* For an additional charge, our ship’s professional laundry staff will handle personal laundry and pressing. Laundry can be picked up at your cabin and same day service is available. Dry cleaning is not possible on board. Voltage.
* The voltage on board is 220 volts (plugs are round sockets with two round pins). 110 volt sockets are also available in each bathroom. Adaptor plugs are available.
* Reception Desk
* Staffed 24 hours a day, the reception desk is always open for all administrative matters. Doctor.
* A licensed U.S. doctor is aboard and available 24-hours a day free of charge.