The USHUAIA has been refurbished to accommodate a maximum of 88 passengers in 46 comfortable cabins and suites.
Originally built for the United States agency NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration), the ice-strengthened polar vessel USHUAIA is very well appointed and provides ample deck space and an open bridge policy. The full complement of inflatable landing craft ensures superb landings and wildlife viewing opportunities on the otherwise inaccessible coastline.
All cabins include ample storage space. Public areas feature a large dining room (one sitting), an open-plan observation lounge / lecture room with modern multimedia equipment, bar and a well-stocked library. There is also a changing room and a small infirmary. Our expert captain, officers and crew are highly experienced in Antarctic navigation and have a great love of nature. We provide a specialist team of international expedition leaders and lecturers, all extremely knowledgeable, enthusiastic, helpful and dedicated to the protection of the environment. Our chefs prepare excellent cuisine including many local specialties and the bar is well-stocked with carefully selected wines and spirits.
* Length: 84.73 m / 278.3 feet
* Breadth: 15.54 m / 51 feet
* Draught: 5.48 m / 18.08 feet
* Gross Tonnage: 2,963 tonnes
* Speed (Max): 14 knots
* Cruise Speed: 12 knots
* Passengers: 84
* Crew & staff: 38
* Zodiacs & RIBs: 7
* Electrical Outlets: 110 V, 60 Hz
* Yard: American Shipbuilding, Toledo, Ohio
* Date of Build: 1970
* Classification: INSB Ice Class C
* Flag: Union of Comoros
* Engine: 2 ALCO 1600 HP each
* Bow thrust: 1x 500Kw
* Large Dining Room on the Main Deck F comfortably accommodates all guests at a single seating. There is an open seating for all meals and guest tables are unassigned.
* Observation Lounge Bar. The bar is well-stocked with carefully selected wines and spirits.
* Gift Shop on the Main Deck F is stocked with ladies and men's clothing, film, sundry items, apparel, gift and souvenir items.
* Lecture room with modern multimedia equipment, on Deck E. Both lectures and films are offered. Passengers are encouraged to participate in all the ship's activities, including the stimulating and informative lectures.
* A well-stocked Library on the Main Deck F, containing a good selection of international titles, with an emphasis on reference material essential to your voyage. A variety of games, including playing cards and board games, are also at your disposal.
* Bridge: The USHUAIA encourages you to take advantage of our open bridge policy. During the days we are underway, the officers invite you to observe the navigational operations of the ship and will gladly answer any questions you may have. We kindly ask you to respect the bridge as the working area for the officers. Occasionally, for reasons of safety, the bridge may be closed to visitors.
Standard Twin Semi private
One of ten outside Standard twin cabins with portholes on Deck E, semi-private facilities, two berths (upper/lower).
Standard Plus Twin
One of eleven outside Standard Plus twin cabins with portholes or windows on Deck E, private facilities, two lower berths.
Standard Plus Triple
One of two outside Standard Plus triple cabins with portholes or windows on Deck E, private facilities, three lower berths.
One of nine outside Superior twin cabins with windows on the upper Deck G, private facilities, two lower berths.
One of two outside Premier single cabins with portholes (view obstructed by lifeboat) on upper Deck G, private facilities, one single bed.
One of six outside Premier twin cabins with windows on the upper Deck G, private facilities, two lower berths.
One of four outside Suites with windows on the upper Deck G, private facilities, lounge, TV, DVD player and fridge. This portside corner suite has one double bed in the bedroom and one sofa bed in the sitting area.